Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Mockingbird



Mockingbird is on the Notable Books for Children List.
This book was unbelievable and is one I will never forget. As a teacher I have encountered students that have different struggles, but no amount of professional reading or training could prepare me for the depth of emotion that ran through me while reading this book. I know that it cannot be put in to words exactly, but this text took my breath away.  I remember growing up in a school environment where those that were “different” were secluded in their own room and kept away from the other students.  It has taken a long time for mainstreaming to get where it is today… I cannot wait to share this book with others and help more of the world grasp what those living with Asperger’s deal with daily.  

Erskine, K. (2010). Mockingbird. New York, NY: Scholastic Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment