Tuesday, August 2, 2011

To Kill a Mockingbird



To Kill a Mockingbird is on the 100 Most Challenged Book List.
Personal Reaction:
I remember reading this book when I was in elementary (probably before I should have!) and enjoyed reading it again. I by no means grasped all of the issues and adult content addressed in this text as a child and it was almost like reading a new book this time around! I remember understanding the racism theme when I was young, but just on a surface level. I can see while this book is challenged, but as with The Chocolate War, I believe each reader will only grasp what their minds are ready for, even if the book is above their personal maturity level. Growing up in the south, the racism portrayed hit very close to home with the realistic relation to how things actually used to be.

Lee, H. (1960). To kill a mockingbird. Philadelphia: Lippincott.

No comments:

Post a Comment